South African President Jacob Zuma on Monday denied allegations that he has a residence in Dubai, United Arab Emirates.
“I want to reiterate that I have no property outside of South Africa. In addition, I did not ask anyone to buy properties on my behalf of me on abroad, “said President Jacob Zuma in Parliament. These denials follow a survey revealed by Le Monde on the influential family of Indian origin, the Gupta. In this new scandal, baptized “GuptaLeaks”, more than 200,000 e-mails exchanged between the South African president’s clan and the rich Indian family have been intercepted by the platform of protection of alert launchers in Africa.
In one of them addressed to the crown prince of Abu Dhabi, Mohammed Ben Zayed Al-Nahyan, President Zuma writes, “I am happy to inform you that my family has decided to make the United Arab Emirates a second house.” The email will be finalized by Ashu Chawla, the CEO of the computer company Sahara Computers belonging to the Gupta family, and later transfer it to Duduzane Zuma, his employee, one of the president’s sons.
According to the revelations of the Sunday Times newspaper, several of their journalists went on an investigative trip to Dubai last year, sources confirmed the purchase by the Indian family Gupta of a palace for President Zuma d A value of R330 million approximately $ 25.6 million.
According to the site le360Afrique the choice of Dubai is not fortuitous. The Gupta family would use the United Arab Emirates and their free zones to hide some of their operations through hidden accounts in the country.
The South African presidency denies these allegations “Jacob Zuma had no plans to leave South Africa, he intends to live in his Nkandla residence in KwaZulu-Natal province in his retirement.”
Jacob Zuma is accused of allowing the Gupta to exert an excessive influence in the appointment of ministers and to have granted to this family highly remunerative contracts with state companies, a scandal referred to as “putting under state control” .
According to his e-mails, in 2015 Rajesh Gupta transmitted to Duduzane Zuma the CV of Mosebenzi Zwane, the current Minister of Mineral Resources following a visit of President Jacob Zuma to Saxonwoold, the family villa of the Gupta. Jacob Zuma and the Gupta family denied the allegations.
In her replies on Monday to questions about a request from the former mediator of the Republic, Thuli Madonsela on remedial measures, President Zuma said she had put in place procedures to investigate this request for reparations. The matter is expected to be submitted to the courts at a scheduled hearing from 24 to 26 October 2017. A full investigation into these allegations will be conducted once the court has clarified the issues, President Jacob Zuma’s announcement.