GALKAYO, Puntland – At least four people, including a regional governor, were killed Sunday in the northern city of Galkayo in northern Puntland, police said in another raid that could precipitate an attack. reassessment of security in Somalia.
Ahmed Muse Nur, who had been governor of Mudug since May 2019, was confirmed dead with all three sides in an attack for which Somali al-Shabaab activists immediately claimed responsibility.
Activists used a rickshaw known as a Tuk-Tuk which was loaded with explosives to target a vehicle attached to the governor. The rickshaw exploded near the grievor’s vehicle, killing him with three aids on the spot, said an eyewitness. AxadleTM.
Residents were forced to seek safety after the huge explosion, some rushing to the site for rescue mission efforts, witnesses said, but nothing could be saved due to the scale of the disaster. ‘explosion.
Security forces have since resumed the site of the explosion, some of them also launching a manhunt for those who planned and carried out the heinous act, which becomes the latest incident of insecurity in the Rather stable state of war-torn Somalia.
Al-Shabaab activists, the only African terrorist group to pledge allegiance to Al-Qaida, took responsibility for the attack through their proxy media, even though it did not search the finest details of the raid.
This is the second attack on a senior Puntland official, and it intervenes in the midst of ongoing operations to eliminate both Al-Shabaab and ISIS-Somalia from the region, which has traditionally enjoyed stability.
In March of this year, Abdisalan Hassan Hersi, governor of the Nugaal region, died of his injuries after being rushed to hospital in Garowe, the capital of Puntland, where a similar attack was launched by the activists near a police station.
Details of the governor of Mudug’s route before the explosion remain scarce, but it is understood that the explosion took place in the city. Last month, an immigration official was also assassinated by Al-Shabaab outside a mosque in Galkayo.
The threat of activists has forced President Said Abdullahi Deni to launch radical reforms against the local security forces, which have launched several attacks in recent weeks against Al-Shabaab and ISIS-Somalia, whose presence in the region remains rather insignificant.
For example, last week, Puntland regional forces carried out deadly attacks on activists in the seaside town of Bosaso, as part of an operation to secure most of the suburbs that would be under the militants’ control.
Al-Shabaab militants attempted to cross the Balikhadar base, located between Galgala and Bosaso, on Thursday evening, which sparked an intensive shootout between the two factions, Puntland forces said in a statement.
The clashes have killed three Al-Shabaab activists and a soldier, and it is the first major attack by Al-Shabaab, which is trying to make its way to a rather peaceful state in Somalia.
Before that, several explosives which were allegedly hidden by IS-Somalia militants were recovered in Bosaso, following the repression of the security forces. A number of suspects were arrested for questioning.
Traditionally, terrorists have often carried out attacks against high-ranking officials when they feel pressure from the security forces, in particular Puntland forces, a strategy to reduce the continuing attacks against them.
During the burial of Hersi, President Deni insisted that the region could not be intimidated by terrorists, arguing that the security forces would continue to work “extremely hard” to ensure that they are completely wiped out of the state.