Eight members of the same family were injured when a land mine was planted by the Russian Wagner group, which is fighting on the side of the putschist general Khalifa Haftar, exploding south of the capital Tripoli.
Vidad Abu al-Niran, head of the Libyan health ministry’s information department, told Anadolu Agency (AA) that six children and their parents were injured during the blast.
Al-Niran pointed out that while the injuries to some were minor, others were serious.
Civilian life is often jeopardized by mines planted by pro-Haftar forces.
The oil-rich Libya has been torn apart by years of violence and has drawn in tribal militias, terrorists and mercenaries since 2011 overthrown and killed longtime dictator Moammar Gadhafi in a Western-backed uprising.
The latest escalation began on April 4, 2019, when Haftar, a former Gadhafi loyalist and once CIA asset, attacked Tripoli, the seat of the UN recognized National Accord Government (GNA).
Hundreds died and about 200,000 people were displaced by the attack by Haftar forces with the support of the United Arab Emirates (UAE), Egypt and Russian mercenaries.
But then GNA, with intensified support from Turkey, repulsed the future invaders and launched a rapid counter-offensive that recaptured all of northwestern Libya.
Stephane Dujarric, spokesman for UN Secretary-General Antonio Guterres, told a news conference on July 13 that at least 52 civilians had been killed and 96 others injured by landmines around Tripoli.
The Libyan army also said on May 22 that Haftar’s militias had planted explosives and landmines in civilian areas before fleeing Tripoli after defeat.