Sudan arrests Al-Jazeera bureau chief after wide spread

4

The head of Al-Jazeera’s office in Sudan has been arrested by the country’s security forces, the Qatar-based news channel said on Sunday, a day after protests against last month’s military coup. turned violent.

The network said on Twitter that Sudanese forces raided El Musalmi El Kabbashi’s home and arrested him.

This development comes after security forces fired live ammunition and tear gas on Saturday to disperse protesters denouncing the army’s tightening grip on the country.

The Sudanese Committee of Physicians said a 15-year-old protester died of gunshot wounds to his stomach and thigh on Sunday, bringing the death toll to six.

In a subsequent statement, Al-Jazeera said El Kabbashi was arrested at his home in Khartoum, the Sudanese capital. The broadcaster said it held the Sudanese army responsible for its security.

“Al-Jazeera condemns in the strongest terms the reprehensible actions of the army and calls on the authorities to release El Kabbashi immediately and to allow his journalists to operate unhindered, free to practice their profession without fear or intimidation.” , the channel said.

Sudanese officials could not be reached immediately for comment.

Thousands of pro-democracy protesters took to the streets of Sudan on Saturday to demonstrate against last month’s military coup. The takeover sparked international criticism and massive protests on the streets of the capital Khartoum and elsewhere in the country.

Saturday’s killings took place in Khartoum and its twin city of Omdurman. The dead included four people shot dead and one person who died after being hit by a tear gas canister. The 15-year-old who succumbed to his injuries on Sunday brought the death toll to six, the medical committee said. Several other protesters were injured, including gunshot wounds, he noted.

This has brought the tally since the October 26 coup to at least 21 dead protesters, according to the medical group.

Saturday’s rallies, called by the pro-democracy movement, came two days after the coup leader, General Abdel-Fattah al-Burhan, reappointed as head of the Sovereign Council, the interim governing body of Sudan. Thursday’s decision angered the pro-democracy alliance and frustrated the United States and other countries who urged the generals to reverse their coup.

The newly appointed body held its first meeting, chaired by General al-Burhan on Sunday in Khartoum, the council said on its Facebook page.

The pro-democracy movement on Saturday condemned “the excessive use of force” against the demonstrators. The Forces for the Declaration of Freedom and Change said their struggle to establish a full-fledged civilian government “will not stop” and called for mass protests on Wednesday.

The Sudanese army seized power on October 25, dissolving the transitional government and arresting dozens of officials and politicians. The takeover overturned a fragile planned transition to democratic rule, more than two years after a popular uprising forced the impeachment of longtime autocrat Omar al-Bashir and his government.

Sabah’s Daily Newsletter

Keep up to date with what is happening in Turkey, its region and the world.

SIGN ME UP

You can unsubscribe anytime. By registering, you agree to our terms of use and privacy policy. This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google privacy policy and terms of service apply.

.

This website uses cookies to improve your experience. We'll assume you're ok with this, but you can opt-out if you wish. Accept Read More