Newcastle United are pushing hard to strengthen their striking options in January amid concerns over the potential length of Callum Wilson’s injury layoff
Wilson injured his Achilles in the 1-1 draw against Man Utd on December 27, but the Magpies still do not know when he can return, with estimates ranging from two months to the rest of the season.
It leaves goal-shy Joelinton and ousted Dwight Gayle as the only recognized midfielders in head coach Eddie Howe’s Newcastle squad.
At his pre-match press conference ahead of the meeting with Cambridge United in the third round of the FA Cup on Saturday, Howe revealed that he is still waiting to know the extent of Wilson’s injury.
“We do not have a clear diagnosis at the moment. Callum will do a new scan soon to try to determine exactly how long he will be out. There is still some uncertainty about that,” he said.
Combine Fantasy Football and Blockchain with Sorare
If you love fantasy football, but appreciate the uniqueness of NFTs, you must check out Sorare.
8 Sep 2021 Newcastle United take their second approach from Sven Botman
Newcastle United have made a different attitude to Lille for Sven Botman, but the French champions are still not keen on doing business
January 7, 2022 Newcastle vs Cambridge: TV channel, livestream, team news and prediction
Newcastle vs Cambridge: TV channel, livestream, team news and predictions.
January 7, 2022 Upload live news: Trippier joins Newcastle and more
Upload news live!
Earlier this week, Wilson himself admitted on Footballer’s Football Podcast that the club must look at getting another forward.
“When I’m out now and have no time frame, you’ll also need someone to replace me in the short term. I’m not going to say long term because you have to back yourself up, the England international admitted.
Howe was pressured on the probability that a new striker would come and he confirmed that the club is looking, but insisted that it is the most difficult position in football to trade for.
“It all depends on who is available and who we can recruit because it is probably the toughest position at any time of the year to recruit in. The quality of players in that position is very low on the ground,” he said.
90min understands that Newcastle are really looking at a host of options across Europe and the Premier League and has taken steps for more than a dozen players to assess their availability in January.
The Brazilian striker Gabriel Barbosa was a player of interest to them – which was revealed by 90min earlier in January – and he would consider the move, but there is rival interest for the 25-year-old.
In Serie A, the Magpies have asked about the former Manchester City man Edin Dzeko, only to be rejected by the league leaders Inter. They also asked about Fiorentina’s coveted frontman Dusan Vlahovic, but it is believed that the Serb would not amuse their interest.
Newcastle have also contacted Arsenal about the situation of both Pierre-Emerick Aubameyang and Eddie Nketiah. Both are potential options and neither player seems to have a long-term future at Emirates.
There are other domestic goals as well, including Liverpool cult hero Divock Origi, Manchester United’s Anthony Martial, Todd Cantwell from Norwich and Bournemouth’s Dominic Solanke.
North of the border, Rangers Alfredo Morelos is another name that Newcastle have asked for.
Sources have told 90min that Howe could take in two forwards depending on the time frame for Wilson’s injury notice, with the club’s new owners supporting him with a significant budget when they want to avoid relegation.
(This story #Newcastle United are pushing hard to strengthen their forward options. Has not been edited by Axadle Staff and has been auto-generated from the Syndicate feed.) while we endeavor to keep the information up to date and correct, we make no representations or warranties of any kind, express or implied, about the completeness, accuracy, reliability, suitability or availability with respect to the website or the information or related graphics contained on the post for any purpose.