Alec Baldwin says he’s not responsible for fatal shooting on set

5

Alec Baldwin said he felt incredible sadness and regret for the shooting that killed a cinematographer on a film set in New Mexico, but no guilt.

“Someone is responsible for what happened, and I can’t tell who it is, but it’s not me,” Baldwin said in an ABC interview with George Stephanopoulos that aired Thursday night, the The actor has spoken in depth onscreen about the October 21 shooting on the set of Western “Rust.” “Honestly, if I felt responsible, I might have killed myself. “

Baldwin said it is critical that investigators find out who put the bullet in the gun he fired, which was believed to be empty, which killed cinematographer Halyna Hutchins and injured director Joel Souza.

“There’s only one question to be answered, and that’s where the live turn came from?” Said Baldwin.

Baldwin said in an excerpt from the interview published a day earlier that “I didn’t pull the trigger. I would never point a gun at someone and pull the trigger. Never.”

He said it was Hutchins herself who asked him to point the gun right next to the camera and at her armpit before it fired.

Baldwin told Hutchins management that he removed the hammer.

“I let go of the hammer and ‘bang’ the gun went off,” he said.

When Stephanopoulos told Baldwin that many say you should never point a gun directly at someone on a set, he replied, “Unless the person is the cinematographer directing me where to point. the weapon for its camera angle “.

Baldwin said it was 45 minutes to an hour before he began to realize that a live bullet had been in the pistol and he was not sure until he was questioned a few hours later. He thought that maybe Hutchins had been injured by a white man at close range or had had a heart attack.

“The idea that someone put a live bullet into the gun was not even true.”

He had one of many tearful moments when he described Hutchins, claiming that she was “someone who was loved by everyone and admired by everyone who worked with her”.

Baldwin said he was doing the interview to counter public misconceptions about the shooting and to clarify that “I will do anything to undo what happened.”

But Baldwin said: “I want to make sure I don’t come across as being the victim because we have two victims here.”

Baldwin: “Personally, I have not observed any safety issues” on the set

Investigators described “some complacency” in the way guns were handled on the “Rust” set. They said it was too early to determine whether charges would be laid, amid independent civil lawsuits over responsibility in the fatal shooting.

Baldwin said he met the film’s gunsmith Hanna Gutierrez Reed for a gun training session before filming, and that she seemed capable and responsible.

“I assumed, because she was there and she was hired, that she was up to the job,” he said.

Gutierrez Reed has been the subject of much of the scrutiny in the case. Her lawyer said she did not put the bullet in the gun and believes she was the victim of sabotage. Authorities say they have found no evidence of this.

Baldwin, who was also a producer on the film, said there was no indication to him that team members were unhappy with the safety conditions on set, although some have resigned due to of the question.

“I’ve never heard a single word about it, none,” Baldwin said.

Baldwin said the complaints about the film’s cost cutting were wrong.

“Everyone who makes films has a responsibility not to be reckless and careless with the money that is given to you,” he said.

Asked by Stephanopoulos whether the cost reduction compromises security, Baldwin replied, “In my opinion, no.

“Personally, I did not observe any safety or security issues during the time I was there,” he said.

“I have nothing to hide”

Baldwin said he didn’t think he would face criminal charges for the shooting.

“I have spoken to the sheriff’s department on several occasions,” he said. I have nothing to hide.”

He said the incident left him emotionally devastated.

“I constantly dream of this,” he said, “I constantly wake up where the guns go. These images came to my mind and kept me awake at night and I didn’t. haven’t slept in weeks and I really struggled physically. “

Asked by Stephanopoulos if his career is over, Baldwin replied: “It could be.”

He said his next production still wanted him, “but I was like, ‘do I want to work a lot more after this?'”

(PA)

.

Post Disclaimer

(This story #Alec Baldwin says he's not responsible for fatal shooting on set. Has not been edited by Axadle Staff and has been auto-generated from the Syndicate feed.) while we endeavor to keep the information up to date and correct, we make no representations or warranties of any kind, express or implied, about the completeness, accuracy, reliability, suitability or availability with respect to the website or the information or related graphics contained on the post for any purpose.

This website uses cookies to improve your experience. We'll assume you're ok with this, but you can opt-out if you wish. Accept Read More