Manchester City defender Mendy charged with two more counts of rape

2

Manchester City and French international defender Benjamin Mendy have been charged with two additional counts of rape, prosecutors said on Tuesday.

He now faces six counts of rape and one of sexual assault involving four complainants over the age of 16, all of the alleged offenses relating to the period between October 2020 and August of this year.

A second man, Louis Saha Matturie, was charged with two more counts of rape and one of sexual assault, the prosecution said in a statement.

Mendy, 27, of Prestbury, and Matturie, 40, of Eccles, both in north-west England, are due to appear before magistrates in Stockport, near Manchester, on Wednesday.

Legal proceedings in Britain are subject to strict pre-trial reporting restrictions to avoid the risk of prejudicing a jury in their deliberations.

Both men had previously appeared in Chester Crown Court on September 10 and were told they would stand trial on January 24 next year. The couple were remanded in custody.

Manchester City’s Benjamin Mendy has been charged with two more counts of rape, the Crown Prosecution Service has said.

He has been suspended since August after being charged with four counts of rape and one count of sexual assault. pic.twitter.com/lkl0C8UB6X

– B / R Football (@brfootball) November 16, 2021 Mendy, a £ 52million ($ 70million) signing from Monaco in 2017, has played 75 times for City, winning three Premier League titles, but his time of play was limited by injury and loss of form.

He has just under two years left to sign a six-year contract.

The last of his 10 caps for France arrived in November 2019.

The left-back, a 2018 World Cup winner, has been suspended by the Premier League champions pending the outcome of the criminal proceedings.

(AFP)

.

This website uses cookies to improve your experience. We'll assume you're ok with this, but you can opt-out if you wish. Accept Read More