The trial of Salah Abdeslam, the main suspect in the November 2015 Islamist bombing that left 130 people dead in Paris, and others will be briefly suspended in January because Abdeslam caught the coronavirus, a judicial source told Reuters on Friday.
The criminal trial will resume as scheduled on January 4, but will then be officially suspended until January 13, the source said. The French news agency AFP had previously reported on the planned suspension, citing an email sent to the parties by the president of the tribunal.
Abdeslam, 31, is considered by prosecutors to be the only surviving member of the Islamic State cell that carried out the bombings against bars, restaurants, the Bataclan concert hall and the Stade de France stadium on November 13. 2015 .
>> France pays tribute to the victims on the sixth anniversary of the Paris attacks
The trial, which began in September in a specially designed courtroom at the historic courthouse in Paris, is one of the most complex – and well-attended – in modern French history.
No verdict is expected before May 2022.
(This story #Paris jihadist attack trial suspended after prime suspect catches Covid. Has not been edited by Axadle Staff and has been auto-generated from the Syndicate feed.) while we endeavor to keep the information up to date and correct, we make no representations or warranties of any kind, express or implied, about the completeness, accuracy, reliability, suitability or availability with respect to the website or the information or related graphics contained on the post for any purpose.