Saudi journalist children “forgive” murderers

- Advertisement -

The children of Saudi journalist Jamal Khashoggi, who was killed in October 2018 at the Saudi Consulate in Istanbul, said Friday that they have forgiven the murders of their father.

“We, the martyr’s sons Jamal Khashoggi, announce that we forgive those who killed our father,” Salah Khashoggi, son of former Washington Post reporter, wrote on Twitter.

“During this holy night of this holy month [du ramadan]”We remember the word of God saying,” If a person forgives and reconciles, his reward is due by Allah, “he added.

The legal consequences of this announcement by Salah Khashoggi, a resident of Saudi Arabia, are still unknown.

Jamal Khashoggi, a journalist who criticizes the Saudi regime after being close to it, was murdered and his body was cut in pieces on October 2, 2018 at the Saudi Arabian Consulate in Istanbul where he went to retrieve a document.

According to Turkey, Khashoggi was suffocated and his body was dismantled during a mission run by a team of fifteen people. The remains of the 59-year-old editorial staff have never been found.

After denying the murder and then submitting several contradictory versions, the Riyadh authorities claimed that it had been committed by Saudi agents who had acted alone and without orders from senior leaders.

Crown Prince Mohammed bin Salman, known as MBS, was selected by Turkish and American officials as the sponsor of the murder. He later said he was responsible for the murder, but denied that he knew it before it was committed.

Two relatives of MBS prosecuted by Turkish justice

After an opaque trial in Saudi Arabia, five Saudis were sentenced to death and three were sentenced to prison. Eleven people were charged.

The journalist’s son Salah Khashoggi said he had “full confidence” in the Saudi judicial system and criticized opponents who he said were trying to exploit the case.

The Washington Post wrote in April 2019 that the children of the murdered journalist, including Salah, had been home for several million dollars and were paid thousands of dollars a month by the government. The family then denied.

A month ago, Turkish justice started proceedings against twenty people including two close MBS, ex-adviser Saoud al-Qahtani and the former number two of the intelligence, General Ahmed al-Assiri, identified as sponsors of the murder.

With AFP

- Advertisement -

This website uses cookies to improve your experience. We'll assume you're ok with this, but you can opt-out if you wish. Accept Read More